Winter is coming! One of the best winter soups in my life is Lotus roots and ribs soup. It was one of the best dishes that grandma could make to please my stomach. As I mentioned at the beginning of my LEFT, OVER. Project, my grandmother was part of the inspiration for the project. Unfortunately, she will be not able to cook this lovely dish for me again because she passed away a year ago. It is a promise that I will share some recipes to thank for my project supporters and there are a lot of people have been waiting for my great recipes. Even though it is a little bit painful to review her recipes again. I will still be happy to share this with you.
……Suddenly, there is an image appeared in my head, which she was repeating all the details to me about this recipe. So let’s have a look how to make some nice, simple and healthy soup.
This soup will consume a lot of time of yours, so choose a day when you can focus on making a healthy meal for yourself and your love ones.
The preparation of the materials is simple. All you need is:
- A big soup pot with lid
- Some water (Normally fill in 2/3 of the soup pot you use)
- Some Lotus (The proportion of the lotus and the ribs you are going to use is 1:1. You can get this vegetable in the Asian supermarket such as The Oriental in The Netherlands.)
- Some ribs, 1kg is enough for two-four people. (Normally we use pork ribs, and you can get them in the supermarket, such as Albert Heijn. But you can also use Lamb if you don’t like pork. Walk to the butcher and get some nice and cheap ribs. Don’t forget to ask the butcher to cut the ribs into 2-3cm long pieces.)
- Some ginger (Egg size big will be enough)
- Some Spring onions (You will get a bunch of them in the supermarket, but don’t use everything. you only need some of them as the final touch of your soup.)
- Some salt.
- If you like spicy taste, you can also prepare some chilli powder, some soy sauce, and some sesame oil for the source. (Soy sauce and sesame oil can also be used for the noodles recipes, so you will not just use for once. In fact, if you like the sauce in this recipe, you can always use it for any food you like.)
Now let’s start to cook!
Step one: Fill in the soup pan with 2/3 amount of water and put on the lid, let it boil. In the meanwhile, you will smash the ginger a bit and add it into the water.
Step two: Wash off the ribs few times until you don’t see much blood on it anymore. When the water is boiled, put the ribs in and wait until it is boiled again.
Tips: The secret of this recipe is here. You will have to use a soup spoon to take away the foams on the top of soup when it is boiled. Those foams contains blood and some unnecessary dirt from the meat, which you don’t want to have it in your soup. Carefully remove all the foams on top the surface, until you can clearly see some fat floating. That means you successfully removed most of the dirt in the soup and now you have clean meat in your pan.
Step three: Add some salt (add some olive oil, if you prefer the soup to be a little bit greasy.), and put on the lid again, use small fire to let it cook, as long as it is boiling.
Step four: Peel the lotus roots and cut them into slices, like 5mm thick is good. Add them into the soup and turn on the fire a little bit so it can boil faster. When it is boiled gain, put back on the lid and turn into small fire to keep it boiling.
Now, let you soup slowly cooked with the small fire around 1-1.5 hours. Make sure you check it every now and then, stir it a bit, and add some water if you see the food is not covered by the soup. Normally you should keep it around half pot full all the time.
In the meanwhile, you can prepare something else. Wash off the spring onions and chop it into small pieces. Put it into a small bowl for later on.
For the people who wants to have some sauce: Grab a small bowl, add some chilli powder, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, a little bit sugar, and some spring onions. The most important step is add some original soup, and mix them in the bowl. Then your sauce is ready for the soup.
Last step, the best of part of the cooking is to see your soup is in a nude colour and it smells really fresh. When the meat is tender, then your soup it ready. Sometimes, some of the lotus roots will not be super tender because the harvest season and the soil was not too good. If you are lucky, the lotus roots should be very tender too. Now add some salt and spring onions. You are all ready for this lovely soup. Share it with your love ones!
Some important tips： I love lotus, but is not so easy to digest, so don’t eat too much even if you love it so much. The soup is generally good to improve sleeping quality and your appetite. However, pregnant is not recommended to have it too much according to some Chinese Yin Yang theory.
Sources for the pictures:
莲藕排骨汤的做法大全，中国食品科技网. (2013-8-27 14:37:00). Retrieved October 08, 2016, from http://www.tech-food.com/kndata/detail/k0116923.htm